Welcome to Second Presbyterian Youth Ministry!

Welcome to the Blog that is entirely dedicated to the youth activities at Second Presbyterian Church! Here you will find the latest information on outings and gatherings, photos, and more. Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Reflections from Anne

This was my fourth year of mission trips with Second Presbyterian; I have found a special place in my heart for these trips. When I found out we were going to Beth-El this year I had mixed feelings – I was both eager and hesitant. Eager to get out into the community, meet the people, and learn, but I was also hesitant to be going somewhere new. Before leaving for Beth-El I really did not know what to expect once we got there. I have been lucky enough to have my dad go on each of these trips with me.
I always enjoy going on these trips with him and having someone in my family with whom to share the memories. Throughout the week we got the chance to hear some very moving personal stories from the staff at Beth-El, hand out food from the pantry, clean out and organize a community store, and assemble hygiene packets for the migrant workers. The major difference I noticed between this trip to Beth-El and South Dakota was the people. All the people we interacted with during our week at Beth-El were appreciative and grateful for our presence. One unique thing that happened during our trip was the interaction our group had with the local members of the community. Despite a language barrier we were able to communicate the basics through our attempts at Spanish, their attempts at English or even just a smile. One thing I always enjoy about the mission trips I have been on is spending time with the other youth and sharing the similarity with them of wanting to help. God’s Grace can sometimes be a two way street, and I received more than I could give.

No comments:

Post a Comment