Welcome to Second Presbyterian Youth Ministry!

Welcome to the Blog that is entirely dedicated to the youth activities at Second Presbyterian Church! Here you will find the latest information on outings and gatherings, photos, and more. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Kaitlyn Dickson Reflection of BSM During the Philadelphia mission trip I learned many things. I learned how to do simple tasks such as mowing and painting walls. I also learned about the people going through homelessness. A few people helped me learn that I should not judge people by the way they look. On Monday, we were able to eat breakfast and socialize with people who were either homeless or couldn’t afford food. During this time a guy, named Billy, sat down with Chasity, Caroline Smith, and me. He didn’t have the nicest clothes on and he carried around a bag with him. We later learned that he traveled by foot from Philadelphia to Virginia. He likes to do art and music. He was homeless and went to breaking bread often. Billy was easy to talk to and had many stories to tell during our time together Later in the week, we had a tour guide come in. His name was Andre and he went through homelessness twice. The first time he was laid off his job and the second time was by choice. He told us his story then went over some reasons why someone would be going through homelessness. A few examples are by choice, growing out of foster care, and being laid off of their job. Andre was very nice and had a sense of humor. A lot of people from Philly knew him. While we walked around, I learned many things about homelessness. He showed us where some would go to sleep, the way they communicate, and the history of it all. I learned that if it was below thirty-five degrees or higher than hundred degrees then the homeless would be allowed to go into any public building to rest. On Thursday, it was my turn to serve in breaking bread. I was told that Thursday was the busiest, but I was more than ready to help serve. I was waitress along with Caroline Smith. We were assigned section five and while the food was being prepared, we had a little time to talk to the guests. All of them were very polite and not one person said anything rude. There was one guy who stuck out to me the most. His appearance was different and would probably throw some people off. He has a lot of tattoos and two of them were tear drops under his eye. He talked to me first and we had a normal conversation. He was very nice and very polite to me. Every time I gave him food he would say thank you and one time he even called me ma’am. Although his appearance might give off the wrong vibe, does not mean one should judge him because of it. I learned so much during my week at Broadstreet Ministries. All of these people helped me open my eyes and notice that money and appearances don’t make up a person. To know a person, one has to make an effort and talk, instead of just judging and deciding who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment