Welcome to Second Presbyterian Youth Ministry!

Welcome to the Blog that is entirely dedicated to the youth activities at Second Presbyterian Church! Here you will find the latest information on outings and gatherings, photos, and more. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Olivia Smith BSM Reflection This year’s mission trip to Philadelphia to work with Broad Street Ministry was an amazing experience. During just one week of work with Broad Street I was able to package food for people with diseases who have a hard time buying their own food, sell newspapers to raise awareness about homelessness, serve food to people needing a warm meal, weed an urban garden that helps provide fresh fruits and vegetables to people in the neighborhood, and package boxes of food that were sent to elderly people who are unable to buy or afford food from grocery stores. While I was in Philadelphia I worked with many organizations including Manna, Philabundance, One Step Away, an urban garden organization, and Breaking Bread with Broad Street Ministry. After a week at Broad Street my perspective of homelessness and people who are experiencing homelessness has significantly changed. I learned a lot about why people are experiencing homeless and how people who are experiencing homelessness have become homeless. I am so thankful I was able to grow closer to God and see His work while I was at Broad Street and I am thankful that I was able to have this experience with my sister and my friends. My mission trip experience with Broad Street Ministry was extremely eye-opening and impactful and I hope that I am able to return to Broad Street to work with them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment